Saturday, March 1, 2008

day 365 'dreaming wide awake'


MY LAST DAY! HOORAY!
wow. i made it. a full year of self-portraits.
oh my. i had no idea what i was getting myself into. ;)
but i’m thankful for the journey none the less. that's for sure!

looking through all of my shots from this past year, i can definitely tell that i have grown as a photographer. picking up the camera everyday forces you to get creative (unless you want all your shots to look the same- BORING!) and figure out how to use your camera in new and interesting ways! i have fully pushed my sweet canon point-and-shoot as far as it can be pushed. it's time to get my hands on a DSLR!

as i got deeper into the project i started to alter my shots slightly using iphoto. but most of my shots are straight out of the camera. i'm not a photoshop wizard, nor do i aspire to be one. i don't even know how to use the beast. instead my focus was about making the shot right before i clicked. it also meant taking a lot of shots until i got what i wanted. i also relied heavily upon natural or found light, no studio equipment here. not even a tripod. i borrowed a friend’s gorillapod for a few shots, but other than that, i used things around me to steady or hold my camera while I stepped in front of the lens.

as i grew more confident as a photographer, all sorts of opportunities started to come my way, including two art shows in nyc! showing and selling my art in nyc is a dream come true! i am very grateful for all the people who have been there for me and have supported me along my journey. thank you thank you thank you!!! and a special thank you to ms. contini. if it weren’t for her, i wouldn't be showing my artwork in nyc! thank you, my dear!

and of course, how could I not mention ALL OF YOU!
through the year i made many more flickr contacts and even met several flickrites in person! thanks to flickr, i have been able to connect with other photographers from all over the world who have inspired me and taught me something new! THANK YOU!

and a big huge THANK YOU plus many many thanks to all of you out there who have followed this experience of mine and have left comments and favorites! i appreciate all your kind words and encouragement! thank you for all the love and support! thank you.

and a special thank you to hilary mchone, the woman who inspired me to do the project. if it wasn’t for her brilliant, witty, fresh, funny, original and creative 365 set (that i randomly found on flickr through another contact) i might not have taken the plunge. thanks for your wonderful friendship hilabean!

....so I guess that’s a wrap folks! i feel like i've just given birth and it's time to set my baby free! the reality tv plug has been pulled!

although, i will have a day 366…since leap day decided to squeak in my year cycle just before I finished. :)

and just in case you were wondering…the answer is no. no ‘year two’ for me. of course random self-portraits will pop up on my stream from time to time, but at least i won't be chained to it! ha!

PEACE and LOVE!
besos,
julie

ps
this is what’s up next for me:
a canon EOS 450!!!
more art shows in nyc and brooklyn!
selling prints at my etsy store!
marketing my freelance services here!
adding to my photo portfolio here!
and blogging my journey here!

No comments: